First Project of 2022: Sons of Behemat (AoS)

I initially thought that my first project of 2022 would be expanding my Maggotkin of Nurgle army. It was my intention to get some Pusgoyle Blightlords painted up and get them onto the table to give my forces of Nurgle some much-needed mobility. The thing is, between the festive period and none of my regular stores having any left in stock, they’ve not arrived and I’ve been tiding myself over by using them in Tabletop Simulator, instead! There was a danger that I would have used this as an excuse to not buckle down and get started with painting for this year.

As it is, I’ve been good! I’ve been picking away at my Gargants. I’m not looking to paint all of them right away, but I do want to do most of them. The plan is to do the same as I did for the initial Maggotkin army and stick to a set army list. This worked well and gives me a solid goal to work towards rather than what feels like an endless pile of minis. As such, I am currently painting towards the following list:

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
– Tribe: Stomper Tribe
– Grand Strategy:

Leaders
Warstomper Mega-Gargant (470)
 General
Kraken-eater Mega-Gargant (490)
Warstomper Mega-Gargant (470)

Battleline
3 x Mancrusher Gargant Mob (490)

Total: 1920 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141
Drops: 4

Now, obviously that list does not include artifacts, command traits, and core battalions, but it does show what I’m working on. I’ve also chucked in a fourth Mancrusher into the painting pile because I only had the one left and I don’t want him feeling lonely, y’know?

The skin is generally done across everything, and most of the clothing on the Mancrushers is done, too. I’m working away on the Megas at the moment, and I plan for a deep red to be the colour that ties everything together. The couple of steps I’ve done on these minis since taking the photos are applying a layer on Vallejo’s Earth Texture to the bases, chucking on some rocks, going over the whole base in Zandri dust, and then applying a wash of Agrax Earthshade. I’ll get to drybrushing soon.

For my Sons of Behemat as a whole, I’ve got one of each Games Workshop Mega Gargant, and a second of each type that I have converted from the Mantic Games Giant kits. This is partly for variety but in all honestly, is more down to cost. The Mega Gargants are pretty expensive, whilst the Mantic ones are a lot cheaper. You’re also left with a ton of really great bits from the giant kits, so it doesn’t take much work to dress them up in a suitable way.

I’m enjoying painting these guys, but it’s not a quick job. They’re huge! And I’m always so worried about messing up when painting particularly pricey miniatures.

I’m hoping to have some of these finished in the next week or two. Once they’re done, I’ll be sure to add a new gallery page to the blog and share the pictures with y’all.

6 Comments

  1. Good start! I think I might have been tempted to vary the skin colours a bit (perhaps you did and it’s washed out a little in the photo) to keep the painting process more interesting. I hadn’t appreciated how huge the new giants were until now, seeing them towering over the old sculpts.

    Like

    1. I tried three different ones, but they aren’t hugely different – especially in photos – which is a bit disappointing.

      Yeah, they are chunky boys, as are the mantic ones.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.