Most of the Cthulhu mythos material out there is set during or often before the early 20th century. In the past few years, we’ve seen some sources bring this mythos into the modern day. My favourite of these updates is The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross, but another interesting one is the Delta Green setting for Call of Cthulhu. I describe it as a setting because that’s how it started out, as a series of supplements for Sandy Peterson’s Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game. As of 2016, Delta Green is now a fully standalone game with its own core books.
This latest bundle from the fine chaps at Bundle of Holding immerses you into this standalone game, giving you everything you need – except for dice and friends – to play in a modern Lovecraftian setting.
The first tier of the bundle will set you back $12.95 and will net you the following:
The Agent’s handbook, as the core rulebook for players, is the most important part of the bundle. This book includes:
- Rules for creating agents of all types.
- Rules for tense, fluid investigations. Players who use their agents’ skills in clever ways have the best chance to succeed — and survive.
- Nerve-wracking rules for combat, where random disasters can undo the most careful planning.
- Mind-melting Sanity rules that see agents gradually deteriorate — and sometimes snap.
- Rules for “home” scenes where players see what their agents are fighting for.
- Quick, intuitive rules to determine equipment and assets.
- Dossiers on the federal agencies most likely to be featured in play.
The remaining books in this tiers are, unusually for these bundles, not gameplay supplements. Instead, you’re getting a couple of collections of fiction from the setting. These will help you to understand the setting and give you lots of inspiration for your own games.
The second tier will be really useful if you’re intending on being the GM for a game of Delta Green. It is priced on a threshold and is currently sitting at $27.84. For this princely sum, you will receive:
Again, the most crucial part of this tier is the first book. The Handler’s Guide is the definitive resource for the Delta Green GM. It contains a wealth of information on:
- The Past: Details on the world and history of Delta Green
- The Unnatural: The Cthulhu Mythos, from monsters to hypergeometry to the Great Old Ones, including rules for creating new threats
- The Schism: The Delta Green organization itself — or rather, two different Delta Green groups, not always working to the same ends
- The Opera: Guidelines for creating scenarios, running campaigns, and customizing the setting
- Appendices: A ready-to-play scenario, “The Sentinels of Twilight,” a Handler-facing glossary, index, recommended media, sample NPCs to use in any game, rules variants, and more
In addition to the GM book, you’re also getting a book of adventures to get you started out and a further scenario based in Afghanistan, complete with pre-generated characters.
This is a great bundle for anyone who loves the Cthulhu mythos but wants to experience it with a modern twist. Of course, if you do go for this bundle, a share of the proceeds will go to charity. This bundle benefits Human Rights Watch.
If you’re keen, you can click here to visit the Bundle of holding and pick up the deal!