I was delighted yesterday to post the latest batch of models for my Necron army. It felt really good to finish up the models and then share them on here, just as it did with the first batch. The scheme that I’m following is really simple, but also really effective. It’s also been a while since I’ve had a proper 40K army, ever since I got rid of my old Chaos army. Points-wise, the Necrons are sitting at around 2200 points without upgrades, so I definitely have a usable force. This is satisfying.
So, this got me thinking. Between the two batches of Necrons, I’ve painted 83 miniatures for this army. I’ve not worked on anything else this year, so 83 is also my running total, overall. Given that I’ve not really finished anything over the past few years, I’m actually quite delighted with this progress. That 83 is 83 more than last year, and probably the year before, too. The goal I had set for myself was 100 miniatures for the year, so I am also very close to achieving this.
The thing is, I’m someone who can, at times, lack motivation for this side of the hobby. I’m full of ideas – aren’t we all? – but I do struggle to buckle down and actually do anything. I think part of it is just the thought of getting everything out, getting organised, and then tidying up after I’m done. What worked well with the Necrons was building up momentum to carry me forward with the project.
I want to get better. With this in mind, I’ve decided to take the advice of a friend and fantastic painter who suggests doing at least a small amount of painting every day. Okay. I don’t know that I can manage every day, but I can try, and in doing so can only improve on how often I do manage to break out the paints. This little goal also coincides with the fact that a lot of my brushes were just worn out and I experienced a lot of frustration with paints drying out as I was trying to use them.
In the interests of dealing with this last issue, and of making it easier to pull out the paints and crack on with some painting each day, I’ve picked up a wet palette. I’ve also picked up a batch of new brushes. Last night I broke them out and gave them a try.
There’s going to be a learning curve. Some aspects of last night’s painting session went very well, and I was able to mix colours quite easily. I was able to work for an hour and a half with the same paint. No need to to reapply after it had dried up, as it simply did not dry up at all. I did have a little issue with some of the paints running together more than I had intended, but this where that curve comes in. It also force me to do something I’m not usually good at; thinning my paints. Using this new equipment, I had a go at my first non-Necron miniature of the year:
This was a 3D print of Marco from Porco Rosso, my favourite Studio Ghibli movie. I did not have a suitable colour for his skin or his jumpsuit, so I set to work on the wet palette. It was both easy and fun to mix up these colours, and I was able to get a few different shades on the go to help with shading and highlighting. This is most noticeable on the face.
Up close, the mini is rough as hell. It’s a PLA print, and was actually one of my first prints with my Ender 3. There’s a fair bit of pitting on the back of the miniature, and especially on the belt. All in all, I’m actually happy with this miniature. It passes the test of looking pretty good from 2 feet away, which is nice. It also means that my running total for the year is now 84! Inching closer and closer to that 100 models…
I’d like to be in a position where I can do monthly updates on completed miniatures and really make a dent in the backlog. I’m counting on my new approach to make things easier, continued success to make it attractive, and the excitement of sharing on this blog to keep me honest!
I have said similar before, though… Wish me luck!